Many people often refer to Liverpool John Lennon Airport as the Merseyside Airport, but it’s a name that’s never been used formally.
Serving Liverpool, Merseyside and North Wales the Liverpool John Lennon Airport is situated on the banks of the Mersey estuary some 6.5 miles from the city centre.
Although sometimes called the Merseyside Airport this hasn’t ever been used as it’s official name. The airport started life back in 1930 when the original Airport was built in part of the grounds of Speke Hall, initially flights were operated by Imperial Airways. By the late 1930’s flights to destinations in Ireland had started to become popular and the airport built an array of new buildings including a traffic control tower, 2 hangars and a passenger terminal.
During the World War II the airport was renamed RAF Speke (still no reference to Merseyside Airport) and was used by the Royal Air Force for many missions including the distribution of aircraft all across the county. Many factories and aircraft construction facilities were in operation around Speke at the time including the Rootes shadow factory building Bristol Blenheims and 1,070 Handley Page Halifax bombers.